Clean up idle Neptune clusters


Opportunity Name:

Clean up idle Neptune clusters

AWS Resource Type:

Amazon Neptune

Opportunity Summary:

Delete idle Neptune clusters

Opportunity Description:

This FF identifies Neptune clusters that have been idle for an extended period of time, creates a snapshot, and terminates the cluster.

Criteria for identifying the opportunity:

This FF identifies Neptune clusters that are running, but that have not been accessed for at least 31 days. Specifically, for a cluster to be considered idle, the value of its TotalRequestsPerSec CloudWatch metric must be 0 for the last 31 days.

Potential savings (range in % on annual basis):

In general, savings of approximately 99% of idle Neptune cluster costs can be expected for this FF. The remaining 1% of costs are due to the cost of storing the snapshot ($0.10 per GB-month) that is created before the cluster is deleted.

The actual savings will depend on the cluster size, the instance types used, and the amount of storage used by the cluster.

What happens when the Fixer is executed?

The Fixer calls the AWS DeleteDBCluster API with the parameter SkipFinalSnapshot=false so that AWS creates a snapshot of the idle Neptune cluster on S3, and then deletes the cluster.

All parameters that are required to recreate the deleted cluster are attached to the snapshot as tags.

Is it possible to rollback once CloudFix implements the fixer?

Yes. There is no automated rollback, but rollback can be triggered manually by executing the SSM document "Cloudfix-Runbook-NeptuneCleanupIdleClusters-Rollback-manual".

Can CloudFix implement the fix automatically once I accept the recommendation?


Does this fix require downtime?



Additional Resources:



Please sign in to leave a comment.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request